Sunday, November 21, 2010

Deliberate or not, the clothes you are wearing make a statement…

  I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a girl who loves her fashion – really loves it, with a passion that borders on the obsessive. I adore the clothes, the colours, the glitz and glamour; I get ridiculously over-excited while accessorising and experimenting with make up. I can spend hours window shopping alone, gently stroking beautiful clothes and shoes as if they were fluffy pets. I have even been known to become attached to items of clothes which I simply cannot afford – while I know I will never be able to buy them, I still visit them in their shops, just to look at them, touch them, imagine owning them. My closest friend, less style conscious than I, has learnt to accept my madness. She patiently endures my cries of “Oh-my-god I am NOT letting you out in that” and “I don’t care if you don’t like it you’re wearing it” and “How many times do I have to tell you!? ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE, ACCESSORIZE!”

  When you’re a bubbly sort of girl who loves clothes, shopping and partying, people make assumptions about your intelligence, especially if you have long, blonde hair like mine. People’s opinions don’t bother me much, but the one thing that really does irritate me is being patronised, especially by some moron who’s IQ is without doubt far lower than mine. When it comes to my love of fashion, I’ve heard some snide remarks. I’ve heard those who think they are too broad-minded to “follow the trends” refer to anyone with an interest in fashion as “conformists”, and of course those who think they are too intellectual for fashion make comments such as “It doesn’t matter what people wear – it’s who they are inside that counts.” Then of course there are those who simply assume any girl who squeals out loud with joy at the sight of the perfect pair of sparkly shoes just cannot be that bright.

  I don’t waste time trying to explain myself to these people. They simply cannot see how WRONG they are. There is no point pointing out to them that all individuals conform to the society in which they exist – yes, that includes all of you high minded wankers who call others “sheep”, you, too, are conformists – it’s human nature. Those who claim that “it’s who you are inside that counts” cannot see that your style, your choice of clothing and make up, is a direct reflection of self. Whether you like it or not, what you wear says something about you and whether you like it or not, others will judge you on it. Would you go to a job interview at an office dressed in an old tracksuit?

  Many people claim they don’t care what they wear, but every outfit makes a statement. Showing up at that job interview in a smart suit and shoes would say, “I want to make a good impression.” Add a subtle hint of lipstick, an elegant hairstyle and a piece or two of understated but expensive jewellery, and you’re also saying, “I’m confident and successful.” Even an old pair of jeans and a pyjama top worn around the house on your day off makes the statement, “I’m relaxed and comfortable, and not trying to impress anyone.” Dressing all in black with matching lipstick and multiple facial piercings sends out the message “I don’t want to fit in, I want to be different.” Think of the different outfits you wear, and the statements they make. Going out in a sloppy outfit with untidy hair says, “I haven’t made the effort.” Dressing up for a night out is often the time that women consciously try to communicate with people through their outfits. Bright eye-shadow and lipstick screams “Fun!” Red lips and smoky eyes just cry out “Sexy.” Stylish clothes and hairstyles say “I’ve made an effort; I look and feel good about myself.” This is the most important thing about clothes – that you feel amazing in them. Confidence looks good in any colour.

  For me, it always varies – I like to dress to suit my mood. Fashion is extremely relevant to my life, and I often express my feelings through it. Smudged black make up and untidy hair feels right on me when I’m unhappy. Colours and glittering jewellery and fluttery fake eyelashes represent happiness and fun. Being versatile is important, as is being confident about your own taste and style. There is no point to fashion without style. Trends and fashion icons are not there to be copied, only to give us suggestions, and expose us to new, exciting ideas. There is a lot of flexibility in fashion these days. It is up to you to take what you want from current fashions, and to give it your own unique twist.

  I see fashion as I see writing, painting and photography – fashion is art. It is a way for people to express themselves – through clothes, hair, shoes, accessories, make up. It is a way for people to be creative in their everyday lives, while at the same time making them feel confident, comfortable and good about themselves. And while I do take my fashion seriously, at the end of the day that’s what it’s really about. It is about feeling good, looking good and having fun. As Christian Dior said, “There is no beauty that is attractive without happiness.” So no matter what fashion choices you make, be sure to enjoy them. I leave you with one of my personal favourite quotes; “You can buy fashion. You inherit style.”

1 comment: